Forums

Silence shortener starts working slower and slower over the course of processing
There seems to be some issue with the silence shortening tool. With longer recordings with a lot of silence to shorten, over the course of processing the tool starts working slower and slower.

On an everyday basis, I work with recordings that usually last much over 60 minutes. These include lectures, discussions, etc. 100% spoken content. Before I publish them as podcasts, I usually shorten the silence to avoid my podcasts having long gaps.

What I do:
- open a recording, optionally mix it down to mono
- go to Detector, choose Adjust Silence with the following settings:
Silence Threshold: Level Blow -30dB (by the way, there's a typo here), Length more than 150ms
Audio threshold: Level above -30dB, Length more than 25 ms
Operation: Shorten 250ms
- Click 'scan'

Usually, there are over 1000 moments of silence detected. Processing this takes a lot of time and the silence shortener tool seems to start working slower and slower over time. Is it possible to fix this?

Here's my example recording to test (it's in OPUS format but Soundop opens it fine): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

In the case of this recording, silence shortening took me some 35-40 minutes.

For comparison, I ran a similar operation in Acoustica Pro - their silence shortener completes the task in less than a minute.
(02-17-2022, 10:18 AM)Ivellios Wrote: There seems to be some issue with the silence shortening tool. With longer recordings with a lot of silence to shorten, over the course of processing the tool starts working slower and slower.

On an everyday basis, I work with recordings that usually last much over 60 minutes. These include lectures, discussions, etc. 100% spoken content. Before I publish them as podcasts, I usually shorten the silence to avoid my podcasts having long gaps.

What I do:
- open a recording, optionally mix it down to mono
- go to Detector, choose Adjust Silence with the following settings:
Silence Threshold: Level Blow -30dB (by the way, there's a typo here), Length more than 150ms
Audio threshold: Level above -30dB, Length more than 25 ms
Operation: Shorten 250ms
- Click 'scan'

Usually, there are over 1000 moments of silence detected. Processing this takes a lot of time and the silence shortener tool seems to start working slower and slower over time. Is it possible to fix this?

Here's my example recording to test (it's in OPUS format but Soundop opens it fine): https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1...sp=sharing

In the case of this recording, silence shortening took me some 35-40 minutes.

For comparison, I ran a similar operation in Acoustica Pro - their silence shortener completes the task in less than a minute.

Hi,

Thanks for the report.

We have fixed the problem and released a new version. Please check it out.

Best regards.
Thank you very much. Now it works blazingly fast. I just tested it on the file I attached, Soundop detected 1750 ranges and shortened 1527 of them in maybe less than 30 seconds. Great job!
(02-18-2022, 09:29 AM)Ivellios Wrote: Thank you very much. Now it works blazingly fast. I just tested it on the file I attached, Soundop detected 1750 ranges and shortened 1527 of them in maybe less than 30 seconds. Great job!

We have released a version that supports saving detector parameters. It also includes other improvements for adjusting silence.  Please feel free to contact us if you have problems with Soundop. Smile