Forums

Feature request: Ability to select left or right channel only and apply processing
Maybe this is already built in, but I can't find it. Is there a way to select ONLY the left or right channels, and then apply effects or processing to the selected channel?

Like, right now I have a drum sample that is not centered in the stereo field. I'd like to select the left channel and apply gain, or a volume envelope to it. Maybe even a VST effect.

This is something Sound Forge (and other editors like Ocenaudio) has had for years, I'm really hoping this can be done with Soundop.

I think it would be easy to implement channel selection by simply measuring the mouse position at the start of the drag operation. See this video from Ocenaudio where I demonstrate what I mean:

https://i.imgur.com/zItI5Lv.mp4

I don't have a copy of Sound Forge on hand, but it works the same way.

Is there any chance this could be implemented? I really appreciate the consideration.

PS: I just got around to buying Soundop and I'm loving it! The fact you guys are so receptive to user feedback is amazing. In another thread I asked for VST favorites organization and renaming and you literally delivered the feature in a few days. You guys are awesome.
(12-18-2022, 03:50 PM)visusys Wrote: Maybe this is already built in, but I can't find it. Is there a way to select ONLY the left or right channels, and then apply effects or processing to the selected channel?

Like, right now I have a drum sample that is not centered in the stereo field. I'd like to select the left channel and apply gain, or a volume envelope to it. Maybe even a VST effect.

This is something Sound Forge (and other editors like Ocenaudio) has had for years, I'm really hoping this can be done with Soundop.

I think it would be easy to implement channel selection by simply measuring the mouse position at the start of the drag operation. See this video from Ocenaudio where I demonstrate what I mean:

https://i.imgur.com/zItI5Lv.mp4

I don't have a copy of Sound Forge on hand, but it works the same way.

Is there any chance this could be implemented? I really appreciate the consideration.

PS: I just got around to buying Soundop and I'm loving it! The fact you guys are so receptive to user feedback is amazing. In another thread I asked for VST favorites organization and renaming and you literally delivered the feature in a few days. You guys are awesome.

Hi,

Thank you very much.

To disable channels, you can click the buttons in the waveform editor or use keyboard shortcuts.

Best regards.
Ahhh! I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Unfortunately, there is one drawback.

When I disable a channel, I no longer hear it. (Only get sound in one ear). I know this logically makes sense because the channel is disabled and thus muted, however a lot of times you want to hear both channels when adjusting one channel (to ensure an even balance / stereo image).

Here's a simple use case:

I want to automate the volume of the left channel to conform to the right channel. If I disable the right channel and can't hear it anymore, I have no way of telling if the mix (stereo image) is balanced other than by eye. Or repeatedly enabling/disabling the channel after each adjustment. I know I can normalize stereo channels independently to a specific volume, but that doesn't hold water when you need to make precision envelope edits and/or more complex processing.

Is it possible for your team to implement a feature that allows for auditioning both channels while applying effects or processing only one channel?

Hopefully this makes some sense.

Right now I have my External Editor 1 set to SoundForge for this specific use-case. I'd REALLY like to drop Sound Forge once and for all.

Best,
Jay
Maybe it would be a good idea to make it possible to use separate FX Racks on each channel.
(12-20-2022, 10:47 AM)Ivellios Wrote: Maybe it would be a good idea to make it possible to use separate FX Racks on each channel.

I totally 100% agree.

Also, it would be great to have an option to apply a volume/amplitude envelope to only one channel. This would make stereo balancing tasks a breeze!

Jay
(12-19-2022, 04:39 AM)visusys Wrote: Ahhh! I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

When I disable a channel, I no longer hear it. (Only get sound in one ear). I know this logically makes sense because the channel is disabled and thus muted, however a lot of times you want to hear both channels when adjusting one channel (to ensure an even balance / stereo image).

I want to automate the volume of the left channel to conform to the right channel. If I disable the right channel and can't hear it anymore, I have no way of telling if the mix (stereo image) is balanced other than by eye. Or repeatedly enabling/disabling the channel after each adjustment. I know I can normalize stereo channels independently to a specific volume, but that doesn't hold water when you need to make precision envelope edits and/or more complex processing.

Is it possible for your team to implement a feature that allows for auditioning both channels while applying effects or processing only one channel?

Right now I have my External Editor 1 set to SoundForge for this specific use-case. I'd REALLY like to drop Sound Forge once and for all.

Best,
Jay

Hi,

We have released a new version with an option to play disabled channels in the wave editor. Please check it out.

Best regards.
(12-20-2022, 10:47 AM)Ivellios Wrote: Maybe it would be a good idea to make it possible to use separate FX Racks on each channel.

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestion.

Maybe you can try the Parallel FX Group.

Best regards.
(12-22-2022, 12:45 AM)ivosight Wrote:
(12-19-2022, 04:39 AM)visusys Wrote: Ahhh! I completely missed that. Thanks for pointing that out.

Best,
Jay

Hi,

We have released a new version with an option to play disabled channels in the wave editor. Please check it out.

Best regards.

Ahhhhh! OMG! Smile

Thank you for adding that so quickly! You guys are the best!

Jay
Ok, I just tried it out! Unfortunately it's not working correctly, or there is a bug.

If I disable a channel, and then add a gain envelope - the envelope preview is still being applied to the disabled channel. The whole point of this feature request was to adjust a single channel while keeping the other static (enabling things like stereo balancing tasks).

Here's a video that demonstrates the behavior:

https://streamable.com/2w57ri

Ideally, the disabled channel shouldn't react to any processing being applied. The behavior is also deceptive because when you do apply the effect, it (correctly) only applies it to the enabled channel.

I hope this makes sense!

Thanks so much for your continued effort in improving SoundOp.

Jay
Also, I noticed you added F2 renaming for plugins AND fixed the bug where all folders would expand when you added a plugin. Thank you so so much for that!

I am going to be greedy and ask for another feature. It doesn't just benefit me but it improves your product offering anyway. Cool

Is there any way you can allow the same plugin to be placed in multiple locations/folders? A perfect example would be Cockos ReaFIR. It's a compressor, EQ, gate, and spectral modifying plugin that wears many hats.

I would like to have this plugin in both my EQ folder, Gate folder, Compression folder, etc. There are lots of instances where plugins fit in multiple categories and this would be a great feature to have.

I hate to keep referencing Sound Forge, but they handle this in a great way.

See this video where I add the plugin bx_boom from Plugin Alliance multiple times to the favorites:

https://streamable.com/sgkrwy

1. If there is already an instance of the plugin in the root folder, selecting "Add FX to Favorites" does nothing.
2. If there is an instance of the plugin in a subfolder, selecting "Add FX to Favorites" places the plugin in the root folder.
3. From there you can move it to another subfolder. Then you have that plugin in two locations.

I think this would be a great way to handle a feature like this. Basically:

1. Only add the plugin again if it doesn't exist in the root Favorite folder.
2. Do nothing if it already exists in the root folder.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Jay