Forums

some feature suggestions
(02-10-2022, 12:26 PM)balanced Wrote:
(02-10-2022, 07:11 AM)ivosight Wrote: There will be no synchronization l problem to output tracks to different channels of ASIO devices. We will consider adding it.

Thanks for considering! Sorry, I forgot a major application: working with multichannel (surround) sound. I have created several rudimentary surround mixes for my productions with stereo-oriented software. It doesn't often matter if your software doesn't have surround panners or native support for multichannel files etc. For example, if you just want to create discrete surround ambiance channels for your music production, it's easy. Or if you work with custom multichannel audio playback systems like I often do, you can create surround content quite well as long as your software supports multiple harware outputs (within the same device) and flexible internal routing.

Or, if you want to create custom monitoring channels for recording, including your track effects (not using audio interface direct monitoring), you would need to use separate hw outputs from the master channels.

Cheers

Hi,

We have support playing tracks on multiple channels of ASIO devices in the latest version. And adding sends to the master track is possible now.

Please check it out.

Best regards.
(02-02-2022, 04:22 AM)balanced Wrote: I´m starting my first mastering project (with video) using Soundop to get more familiar with it.

One thing that I found immediately is that you can't group tracks in it I believe? I mean just visually set some tracks as subtracks for another (like folders inside folders). Of course routing could also follow this, so that the topmost track could become a buss for contained tracks. By grouping tracks you could also minimize or hide the contained tracks completely if topmost track is minimized. Would it be hard to implement this?

I get that you have already implemented bus tracks and you can route audio to those. What if bus tracks could also act as group tracks so that when you grab a track and drop it on top of a bus track it becomes a subtrack for that bus? The output routing for that track could be automatically set for that bus? I believe this way you could use bus tracks in traditional mixer kind of way as you have implemented it now, but also as track groups that work as busses. If busses inside busses would be enabled this would create even more freedom for the user.

When working with bigger sessions that include several versions of parts you work on this would be helpful. You could just quickly hide the things you don't need and you would find your tracks easily inside the busses, if required.

Another useful feature would be to enable activating and deactivating tracks. This can also work together with what I described above. In Bitwig this is implemented so that you can activate or deactivate tracks and track groups and select with just one button if all deactivated tracks/groups are shown or hidden. This way it's really easy to have shown only the tracks that you actually work on. You don't have to delete tracks if you want to just set them aside in case you have to go back to them.

Would implementing any of this seem useful to you, or would it break any existing functionality?

Cheers!

Hi,

You can deactivate a track for playback by setting the track output to none. There will be a redundancy to add buttons for activating and deactivating.

Will a button to hide tracks that have no output be enough?

Thanks.
Best regards.
Hi,

Thank you for all the updates! Super Smile

Concerning Alt and Control -dragging: Thanks a lot, control-drag copying seems to work with effects now, feels much more intuitive. I wonder however if you would like to enable this behaviour for copying clips in mixspace timeline too? That would follow the same logic. If it's a problem for some specific usergroup who want to alt-drag copy audio clips, I wonder if an option for that could be made in the preferences? Copying clips with control dragging is quite common daw behavior I believe, so being able to do that might appeal to many users.

Concerning hiding tracks: If tracks with no output can be hidden, it would be a benefit, but you would still have to undo you routing for these tracks, which might be bit cumbersome. Imagine that you work with several tracks or buses going to several hardware outputs. In order to hide tracks you would have to undo output routings and remember them, then to route tracks again for outputs in order to use them again.

What about just a simple option for track right click menu to disable or enable the track? So no additional buttons would be needed. When enabled the menu option would be to disable track, and when track is disabled the option would be to enable it. If you want to, the track could get a visual change (pale colour etc) to differentiate it from enabled/active tracks. Then you could have one button somewhere to hide or show all disabled tracks?

I have also further feature suggestions.. Smile I don't know if you have considered this but an option for sending (or receiving too) midi time code would be great. You could then synchronize local and remote machines to the one you use Soundop on. With virtual midi ports it can be sent to local software and over network with free software to other machines, so it's quite convenient. Of course there are other sync protocols also to consider. I'm using midi time code to sync an external computer running video with xjadeo for example. So the video playback load is off the main machine and screen I'm working on. I would also like to synchronize an external machine with daw in order to run analyzer software that have functions based on timeline position. I'm sending my master audio digitally to external computer that has screens filled with analyzer tools in order to have them always ready and not in the actual mastering sessions I work with. Makes life easier. But I'm sure the possibility to sychronize Soundop with other software/machines would have other applications too.

Another suggestion would be to enable spectogram view for specified (or all) clips in Mixspace view. Do you think this could be possible? Many times you can't see the information you need to from the waveform and it would be useful to see spectogram to better time clips to each other for example. If this is possible then maybe a track or clip based option or both could be used? Even if editing is not possible straight from the mixspace, just seeing spectogram for clip(s) would be useful.

Cheers!
Another suggestion: volume slider for audio file preview in browser panel would be great. Often previewed samples can be louder than your tracks and you have to adjust your main speaker volume back and forth in order to preview samples.

Also previewing audio files while your Mixspace playback is running would be convenient. You could hear how previewed content fits into your Mixspace material. Now previewing audio files stops playback.
Now that I'm doing audio editing for lots of files I'm finding that it would be convenient for the "save as" operation to remember the last location. If you are saving lots of files to same directory it gets hard to navigate every time to the folder you want to use.
Found a bug: When auto-play is on for browser and audio file is first previewed and then stopped the preview playback starts again without intervention if you start audio playback on another, external audio player. This happened to me while using foobar2000 and AIMP and I had Soundop open on the background.
Another one: when fx rack is saved the fx active/inactive status is not saved with it. All effects are always on when fx rack is recalled.
(03-10-2022, 04:46 AM)balanced Wrote: Hi,

Thank you for all the updates! Super Smile

Concerning Alt and Control -dragging: Thanks a lot, control-drag copying seems to work with effects now, feels much more intuitive. I wonder however if you would like to enable this behaviour for copying clips in mixspace timeline too? That would follow the same logic. If it's a problem for some specific usergroup who want to alt-drag copy audio clips, I wonder if an option for that could be made in the preferences? Copying clips with control dragging is quite common daw behavior I believe, so being able to do that might appeal to many users.

Concerning hiding tracks: If tracks with no output can be hidden, it would be a benefit, but you would still have to undo you routing for these tracks, which might be bit cumbersome. Imagine that you work with several tracks or buses going to several hardware outputs. In order to hide tracks you would have to undo output routings and remember them, then to route tracks again for outputs in order to use them again.

What about just a simple option for track right click menu to disable or enable the track? So no additional buttons would be needed. When enabled the menu option would be to disable track, and when track is disabled the option would be to enable it. If you want to, the track could get a visual change (pale colour etc) to differentiate it from enabled/active tracks. Then you could have one button somewhere to hide or show all disabled tracks?

I have also further feature suggestions.. Smile I don't know if you have considered this but an option for sending (or receiving too) midi time code would be great. You could then synchronize local and remote machines to the one you use Soundop on. With virtual midi ports it can be sent to local software and over network with free software to other machines, so it's quite convenient. Of course there are other sync protocols also to consider. I'm using midi time code to sync an external computer running video with xjadeo for example. So the video playback load is off the main machine and screen I'm working on. I would also like to synchronize an external machine with daw in order to run analyzer software that have functions based on timeline position. I'm sending my master audio digitally to external computer that has screens filled with analyzer tools in order to have them always ready and not in the actual mastering sessions I work with. Makes life easier. But I'm sure the possibility to sychronize Soundop with other software/machines would have other applications too.

Another suggestion would be to enable spectogram view for specified (or all) clips in Mixspace view. Do you think this could be possible? Many times you can't see the information you need to from the waveform and it would be useful to see spectogram to better time clips to each other for example. If this is possible then maybe a track or clip based option or both could be used? Even if editing is not possible straight from the mixspace, just seeing spectogram for clip(s) would be useful.

Cheers!

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions.

Drag to copy clips is different because you can drag the clips by one pixel. So the logic for dragging effects may not be suitable.

For disabling tracks, because the track properties are also displayed in the Track panel, maybe it's better to add a button for this feature. We will consider an appropriate place to add it and welcome your opinion.

We will add sending and receiving midi code to our list.

We are not aware of any software that displays a spectrogram view on clips. We will investigate if it is appropriate to add this feature.

Best regards.
(03-15-2022, 06:17 AM)balanced Wrote: Another suggestion: volume slider for audio file preview in browser panel would be great. Often previewed samples can be louder than your tracks and you have to adjust your main speaker volume back and forth in order to preview samples.

Also previewing audio files while your Mixspace playback is running would be convenient. You could hear how previewed content fits into your Mixspace material. Now previewing audio files stops playback.

Hi,

We have supported these features in the latest version.

Please check it out.

Best regards.
(03-15-2022, 10:44 AM)balanced Wrote: Now that I'm doing audio editing for lots of files I'm finding that it would be convenient for the "save as" operation to remember the last location. If you are saving lots of files to same directory it gets hard to navigate every time to the folder you want to use.

Hi,

You can use "Export File" instead of "Save As" with the latest version, which will remember the last location.

Best regards.