Forums

Dither in Soundop
A Question.  As Soundop uses 32 bit floating point format internally, is dither applied in each Sample Rate Conversion / File Save operation to any lower bit format, including 24 (controversial, I know), 16, and 8?  Or is dither only applied at the 8 bit level?

I think it's the wording in the manual that has me a little confused.  It says:

"When exporting audio to file formats with low bit depth, dithering is useful to avoid audible distortion by adding a small amount of noise.
You may set Dithering preference on the Audio Data preference page. If enabled, Soundop will automatically apply the dithering when exporting audio to file formats with low bit depth."

Also, is the dither used TPDF or some other variety?

Thank you!  Smile
(02-10-2021, 03:02 PM)bobmic Wrote: A Question.  As Soundop uses 32 bit floating point format internally, is dither applied in each Sample Rate Conversion / File Save operation to any lower bit format, including 24 (controversial, I know), 16, and 8?  Or is dither only applied at the 8 bit level?

"When exporting audio to file formats with low bit depth, dithering is useful to avoid audible distortion by adding a small amount of noise.
You may set Dithering preference on the Audio Data preference page. If enabled, Soundop will automatically apply the dithering when exporting audio to file formats with low bit depth."

Thank you!  Smile

Hi,

Soundop will do dithering when saving audio in both 16 and 8 bit depth. And it uses TPDF for dithering.

Best regards.
(02-11-2021, 08:44 AM)ivosight Wrote:
(02-10-2021, 03:02 PM)bobmic Wrote: A Question.  As Soundop uses 32 bit floating point format internally, is dither applied in each Sample Rate Conversion / File Save operation to any lower bit format, including 24 (controversial, I know), 16, and 8?  Or is dither only applied at the 8 bit level?

Thank you!  Smile

Hi,

Soundop will do dithering when saving audio in both 16 and 8 bit depth. And it uses TPDF for dithering.

Best regards.
Thank you!